Lisa Campbell, MD
(term expires 2025)
Children's Mercy Kansas City
Melissa Armstrong-Brine, PhD
(term expires 2026)
MetroHealth Medical Center
The goal of the Practice Issues Committee is to promote successful, best practice, interprofessional DBPeds care. Current issues include the viability of DBP practice, especially given changes in the healthcare landscape and modifications of practice with telemedicine. Additional areas of interest for the PI Committee are models of care, quality improvement, maintenance of certification, coding and billing and use of tools to promote efficient and effective care.
The PI Committee is working on the specific goals outlined in the recent SDBP Workforce Action Plan as they relate to:
MODELS OF CARE
- The Practice Issues Committee, in partnership with other relevant Committees, SIGs/Sections, will identify, study and create innovative models of care that integrate DBP care across systems and expand access to DBPcare. These models should ensure that children with the most complex developmental and behavioral issues have access to highly qualified DBP professionals and that children with less complex issues be able to receive high quality care in the generalist setting, when appropriate.
CURRENT ACTION: Collecting response and analyzing data around models of care
- SDBP should consider the use technology as a tool to disseminate and improve the quality of DBP care in areas such as screening, care delivery (e.g., telehealth, computerized therapies), and care coordination.
CURRENT ACTION: Various telemedicine workshops submitting to annual meeting from members of Practice Issues as well as forming a new EPIC Steering Committee for Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics
- The SDBP will work with other professional organizations to support the development of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
CURRENT ACTION: Active participation in dissemination of the new Complex ADHD Practice Guidelines
- SDBP will partner with other organizations to advocate for and secure payment for DBP care
CURRENT ACTION: Members of PI function as AAP/SODBP Liaison for coding as well as participation as Liaisons to the AACAP Committee on Health Care Access and Economic Committee
Useful Resouces/External Links
Some helpful links relevant to PI Committee are:
- Section on Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics (SODBP) of AAP
The Practice Management section of the website compiles relevant practice management resources related to DBP topics.
- AAP Professional Resources: Practice Transformation
This webpage has AAP tools and resources to help practices care for and communicate with their patients. These include Care Coordination Resources, Billing and Payment, Culturallly Effective Care Toolkit etc. Many are free, some require AAP membership to access (also for free).
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement
IHI uses the Model for Improvement as the framework to guide improvement work. There are extensive resources to guide QI frameworks available, including tools, measures and publications.